Wikipedia is an online free encyclopedia created and maintained by volunteers from all over the world.
This is a global encyclopedia that is cooperatively maintained and funded by the non-profit Wikimedia Organization.
Since its inception in 2001, Wikipedia has become one of the most popular sites on the web, with over 55 million entries in over 300 languages.
Wikipedia’s open and collaborative character is one of its distinguishing traits. Anyone with an internet connection may edit or create articles for Wikipedia.
This implies that Wikipedia is continually updated and enhanced by its volunteer network.
Year Founded: 2001
Headquarters: San Francisco, California, USA.
CEO: Katherine Maher
- It is a crowdsourced encyclopedia.
- It provides information on a variety of issues.
- It features an open and transparent editing mechanism.
- It is accessible in over 300 different languages and dialects.
Wikipedia is completely free to use.
|Wikipedia is free and available.||It’s always possible that certain information is wrong.|
|Wikipedia covers a broad range of topic areas.||Edited by contributors who would have biases or agendas of their own.|
|Articles on Wikipedia are often updated and altered.||An article may have been vandalized or purposefully misinformed.|
Top Wikipedia Alternatives in the World of online knowledge:
Year Founded: 2005
Headquarters: San Diego, California, USA.
CEO: Eugene M. Izhikevich.
Scholarpedia is a digital encyclopedia comparable to Wikipedia. However, it is oriented toward academics and subject matter specialists.
Scholarpedia covers many subjects, including science, maths, literature, and the arts. It also contains multimedia stuff like photographs and movies.
Scholarpedia pages are authored and approved by experts in the topic, as opposed to Wikipedia, which accepts contributions from anybody.
This guarantees that the encyclopedia’s information is correct and dependable.
Scholarpedia also has a more formal peer review procedure in place for its articles, in which other experts in the subject examine and approve the information before it is released.
- The foundation is an independent organization dedicated to the advancement of open knowledge.
- It enables people to leave comments on and debate articles.
- Machine translation may be used to translate content into different languages.
- It provides comprehensive coverage of scientific and intellectual issues.
Scholarpedia is completely free to use.
|Experts write and revise the articles.||Scholarpedia is not extensive.|
|Articles are typically more detailed.||Its primary goal is not to publish fresh “search” & “opinion” articles.|
|The peer review mechanism guarantees that publications are reviewed.||Scholarpedia is only offered in English for the time being.|
Year Founded: 1999
Headquarters: New York City, United States.
CEO: David Siegel
Investopedia is a financial planning website covering various financial issues such as investing, financial markets, personal finance, and financial planning.
A team of financial professionals authors Investopedia and focuses solely on financial subjects. This indicates that Investopedia content is more likely to be reliable and up-to-date than Wikipedia content.
- A thorough financial terminology and concepts dictionary.
- Comprehensive articles and seminars on a variety of financial issues.
- Tools like calculators assist users in making sound financial decisions.
- Users may learn about money and investment through dynamic courses and quizzes.
Investopedia is a free resource.
|Financial specialists provide reliable and precise information.||Some sophisticated financial topics may not be thoroughly discussed.|
|Various instructional materials, such as articles, tutorials, & courses.||It does not offer customized financial advice or suggestions.|
|Simple navigation and then a user-friendly design.||It is not vast.|
Year Founded: 2010
Headquarters: San Francisco, California, United States
CEO: Zack Rosen
Pantheon is a platform for programmers, artists, and marketers who wish to build and manage websites for their customers. It is a virtualized platform with a variety of tools and features.
Pantheon is a web creation and administration platform, whereas Wikipedia is a broad encyclopedia covering many topics.
- A versioning system that allows users to keep track of modifications made to their websites.
- A distribution workflow that makes migrating websites easier.
- Automatic updates & security patches are used to keep websites current and safe.
- Multiple languages & locations are supported.
The cost of premium plans varies according to the features and resources required.
|Updates and security fixes are delivered automatically.||It will be more expensive than some other website platforms.|
|Different languages & locales are supported.||The UI and features may be too sophisticated.|
|Excellent client service.||Advanced features do not come cheap.|
Year Founded: 1998
Headquarters: New York, United States
CEO: John Fallon
Fact Monster is a virtual learning resource that provides students, instructors, and parents with various tools and content.
It includes a searchable encyclopedia with entries on a variety of subjects, as well as a vocabulary, thesaurus, as well as other study aids.
Fact Monster features a section for kids featuring games, puzzles, and certain other interactive activities in complement to its instructional content.
One advantage of Factmonster above Wikipedia is that it is expressly designed for younger users, with the material in a far more age-appropriate & accessible language.
- An online encyclopedia offering entries on a variety of subjects.
- Users may learn & reinforce their information through interactive quizzes.
- A resource and tool hub for homework.
- A calendar including information on historical holidays.
Fact Monster is completely free to use.
|Interactive elements that make education more pleasant and interesting.||Specialized topics may not be covered in as much detail.|
|It is free to use.||Some data may be out of date.|
|Content that is acceptable for kids and teens.||The UI is difficult to use.|
Year Founded: 1938
Headquarters: Massachusetts, United States
CEO: Shyam Gulati
Infoplease is a site that offers a wide range of educational materials and tools, such as an encyclopedia, thesaurus, lexicon, atlas, and almanac.
Pearson Education, a multinational education corporation that offers a variety of academic products and services, operates it.
One advantage of using Infoplease over Wikipedia is that even the information on Infoplease is much more likely to be correct and up to date than the material on Wikipedia, which may be modified by anyone anywhere.
- An extensive online encyclopedia featuring entries on a variety of topics.
- Tools and resources to assist pupils.
- A calendar including information on historical events and celebrations.
- Biographies and profiles of prominent persons are included in this section.
It is free to use.
|Various instructional tools, such as articles, quizzes, & games.||Processes that have been versioned must be distributed across contexts.|
|A wide range of subjects is covered in depth.||It may be lacking in content.|
|It is free to use.||Some data has not been updated.|
Year Founded: 2009
Headquarters: California, United States.
CEO: Adam D’Angelo.
Quora is a question-and-answer website where users may ask and answer various questions. It is a user-generated platform where individuals may exchange their expertise and ideas on various topics.
One advantage of using Quora over Wikipedia is that users may ask particular questions and receive tailored responses from experts or people with the first expertise on the subject.
- A platform where users may start answering questions on a variety of topics.
- A community-driven platform allowing users to exchange their expertise.
- Tools that allow users to follow and interact with other people and subjects.
- A customized feed of answers to questions.
Quora is free of charge.
|There are several themes and categories to pick from.||Some responses may be prejudiced or subjective.|
|Personalized responses from experts.||Not all inquiries will be answered.|
|It is free to use.||Some data may not be as credible.|
Year Founded: 2015
CEO: Dave Hanses
Curiosity is a digital media firm that creates instructional material for a wide range of platforms & consumers.
They may provide articles, films, and other interactive elements on various subjects such as science, engineering, history, culture, etc.
One advantage of using Curiosity over Wikipedia is that it provides various multimedia information, such as articles, videos, & immersive content, which may make learning more interesting and pleasurable.
- A vast selection of instructional information is available.
- A wide range of subjects is covered.
- New stuff is added regularly.
- A simple UI and easy navigation.
The premium plan is available for $4.99 per month.
|A wide range of subjects is covered.||Some of the information may be incomplete.|
|New stuff is added regularly.||Some specialized or sophisticated topics may be excluded.|
|In-depth knowledge about the subject.||Curiosity sometimes delays due to several logins.|
Year Founded: 1768
Headquarters: Chicago, Illinois, United States.
CEO: Jorge Cauz.
Encyclopedia Britannica is accessible online and in print in several forms and regions.
The online edition includes articles, photographs, videos, or other media content, and it is updated regularly with new and amended information.
It is well-known for providing comprehensive and reliable information on various subjects, such as science, history, art, and culture.
One advantage of using Encyclopedia Britannica over Wikipedia is that professionals and academics authored and maintained it.
Thus, the material is more likely to be accurate and dependable than information on Wikipedia, which anybody may alter.
- A variety of instructional resources are available.
- A wide range of subjects is covered.
- A group of professionals and academics who write and publish.
- New stuff is added regularly.
The annual cost begins at $74.95.
|A variety of instructional resources are available.||It is not free to use.|
|History, science, and even the arts are among the themes covered.||Britannica’s availability may be restricted depending on how it is subscribed to.|
|The information is written and edited by a team of specialists and scholars.||Specialized topics are rarely covered in depth.|
Year Founded: 1998
Headquarters: Pennsylvania, United States
CEO: Brian Kariger.
The Free Dictionary is an online library and reference site that offers information on various subjects, such as history, science, & literature, and definitions with explanations for many words and phrases.
Wikipedia is a comprehensive encyclopedia that covers a wide range of topics, but The Free Dictionary is primarily developed as a dictionary and reference site.
This is one reason using the Free Dictionary rather than Wikipedia.
- An extensive thesaurus containing synonyms & antonyms for words and phrases.
- A tool that translates words and phrases for users.
- A grammar manual that provides details on use and grammatical principles.
- A map, a calculator, and a converter, among other reference tools.
The monthly subscription rate is $3.99.
|A trustworthy and extensive internet dictionary.||Its material has not all been updated.|
|A wide range of language resources.||Important subjects are not explored in depth.|
|A variety of reference books.||It has certain finite resources.|
Year Founded: 2006
Headquarters: San Francisco, California, United States.
CEO: Larry Sanger
It is authored and edited by professionals & volunteers who are expected to use their actual identities while contributing to a more trustworthy and accurate information source.
Citizendium has a stricter editing procedure than Wikipedia; subject-matter experts review and modify entries before publication.
This is one reason to utilize Citizendium rather than Wikipedia.
In comparison to the material on Wikipedia, Citizendium content is, therefore, more accurate and trustworthy.
- An open-source online encyclopedia.
- An editorial procedure that is more formal and intellectual.
- A forum where members may interact and talk about different subjects.
- A huge selection of resources.
The use of Citizendium is free.
|Information that is true and trustworthy.||It may not include some complex or specialized subjects.|
|A system that allows users to communicate with one another.||Some of the information might not be as current.|
|A variety of research and educational reference sources.||It likely won’t have as much material or as many articles.|
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I create a fresh page?
See Help: Create a new page for instructions. You might wish to use Article Wizards for your first article and Wikipedia.
How should I cite Wikipedia?
Visit Wikipedia: Citing Wikipedia for further details.
What is the Wikipedia URL?
Several methods exist to access Wikipedia, including modern applications for various platforms and substitutes for antiquated technologies.
Is Wikipedia censored?
There is no editing of Wikipedia. Since Wikipedia editors choose the displayed photographs, content may offend certain people.
Some individuals might prefer the information found on a different website, such as Pantheon or Britannica because they believe it to be more trustworthy or accurate. Wikipedia is renowned for emphasizing an impartial viewpoint, although some individuals could believe it still has biases or its editorial process is excessively sluggish. Alternative websites like Infoplease could provide a deeper analysis of particular subjects than Wikipedia.
- Top 10 Quora Alternatives: Discover Your New Q&A Platform
- 12 Best Quizlet Alternatives for Faster Learning and Better Grades
- Top 10 Jamboard Alternatives Next-Level Collaboration Tools!
- 12 Best Zotero Alternatives and Competitors
- Top 10 Google Keep Alternatives You Never Knew Existed!
“Business, marketing, and Branding – these three words describe me the best. I am the founder of Burban Branding and Media, and a self-taught marketer with 10 years of experience. My passion lies in helping startups enhance their business through marketing, Branding, leadership, and finance. I am on a mission to assist businesses in achieving their goals.”