In the US, people are very passionate about their food habits. Snacks are an important part of the American palate, and an average American greatly emphasizes his choice of snacks.
America has witnessed the rise and fall of many different brands of snacks introduced in the market.
Few, however, have remained in the market long and retained their top positions. They are known for their consistent quality and sensible pricing.
Top snack brands in the USA
Ritz Crackers was founded in 1934 by Nabisco. These snacks are circular and are sprinkled with salt on one side.
They have a small scalloped edge. Initially, they were introduced to provide the customers with an alternative to Sunshine Biscuits- their primary competitor.
But gradually, it has earned a name for itself and emerged as one of the most popular snack brands in the United States and outside the country.
Ritz Crackers was named “The Best-Perceived Snack Brand” in a popular poll by consumers from the United States.
Various snacks are also available to suit the needs and preferences of different individuals.
Lay’s is another popular potato chip variety in the United States. It is currently a subsidiary of PepsiCo. It is also called Frito-lay, along with Fritos.
The company was founded by Herman Lay in Nashville, Tennessee, in the year 1932. Lay’s was the first company in the snack food manufacturing sector to have commercials on television.
Owing to its huge variety of flavors, this snack brand has gained immense popularity among consumers in America.
Lay’s products list:
Lay’s is a brand of potato chips owned by Frito-Lay, a PepsiCo subsidiary. Here is a list of some of their products:
- Classic Original Potato Chips
- Wavy Original Potato Chips
- Sour Cream & Onion Potato Chips
- Barbecue Potato Chips
- Salt & Vinegar Potato Chips
- Classic Potato Chips (reduced fat)
- Dill Pickle Potato Chips
- Honey Mustard Potato Chips
- Limon Flavored Potato Chips
- Chile Limon Flavored Potato Chips
- Flamin’ Hot Potato Chips
- Flamin’ Hot Limon Potato Chips
- Ranch Potato Chips
- French Onion Dip Potato Chips
- Cheddar & Sour Cream Potato Chips
- Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper Potato Chips
- Kettle Cooked Original Potato Chips
- Kettle Cooked Mesquite BBQ Potato Chips
- Kettle Cooked Jalapeño Potato Chips
- Kettle Cooked Sea Salt & Vinegar Potato Chips
Potato crackers have always been a favorite among people. Lay’s used this to its advantage and provided the customers with a tasty snack at an affordable price.
Doritos is another subsidiary of PepsiCo, and Frito-lay produces it. The company manufactures tortilla chips in different kinds of flavors.
Initially, Casa de Fritos produced the Mexican snack at a local restaurant near Disneyland in Anaheim, California.
Doritos was introduced to the United States nationality in 1966. It was the first tortilla chip that was sold on a national scale.
Doritos products list:
Doritos is a popular brand of flavored tortilla chips produced by Frito-Lay, a division of PepsiCo. Here are some of the Doritos products:
- Nacho Cheese Doritos
- Cool Ranch Doritos
- Spicy Nacho Doritos
- Salsa Verde Doritos
- Dinamita Chile Limón Doritos
- Flamin’ Hot Nacho Doritos
- Sweet Chili Doritos
- Blaze Doritos
- Jacked Ranch Dipped Hot Wings Doritos
- Jacked Spicy Street Taco Doritos
- Jacked Enchilada Supreme Doritos
- Tapatío Doritos
- Collisions Hot Wings Blue Cheese Doritos
- Collisions Cheesy Enchilada Sour Cream Doritos
- Late Night All-Nighter Cheeseburger Doritos
- Late Night Tacos at Midnight Doritos
- Late Night Last Call Jalapeño Popper Doritos
- Late Night Buffalo Hot Wings Doritos
Doritos has been a major sponsor of the Super Bowl sporting events. The snack has now earned legendary status among consumers in the United States and is very popular worldwide.
Fritos got its name from the popular Mexican snack fritas. The company produces dipping sauces and corn chips. The company was founded by Charles Elmer Doolin in 1932.
PepsiCo took over the company in 1959 and has been a part of the Frito-lay subsidiary ever since.
Fritos are available in different varieties across the world. Frito Kid- the company’s official mascot, has been very popular and attracted a lot of customers.
Fritos products list
Fritos is a popular brand of corn chips and other snack products. Here is a list of some of their most popular products:
- Fritos Original Corn Chips
- Fritos Scoops Corn Chips
- Fritos Chili Cheese Flavored Corn Chips
- Fritos BBQ Flavored Corn Chips
- Fritos Honey BBQ Flavor Twists
- Fritos Ranch Flavor Twists
- Fritos Flamin’ Hot Flavor Twists
- Fritos Jalapeno Cheddar Flavor Twists
- Fritos Bean Dip
- Fritos Mild Cheddar Cheese Dip
- Fritos Medium Jalapeno Cheese Dip
- Fritos Chili Cheese Dip
- Fritos Original Corn Chips in a Can
- Fritos Cheese Flavor Corn Chips
- Fritos Lightly Salted Corn Chips
This classic snack is equally popular at fancy parties in metropolitans and family barbeques in small towns.
Orville Redenbacher’s is perhaps the most popular popcorn brand in the United States of America.
It is named after its founder, who chose a few family farmers to grow the special kernel required for the recipe in 1952.
This variety is fluffy and lighter than regular popcorn. The brand is famous for being the only leading popcorn company that uses real butter in production.
Orville Redenbacher’s products list:
- Microwave Popcorn
- Popcorn Kernels
- Popcorn Seasonings
- Ready-to-Eat Popcorn
- Popcorn Bars
- Popcorn Chips
Redenbacher promised his customers that they would like his variety of popcorn better than the others. The company still upholds the promise.
Another snack brand that is extremely popular in the United States is Wheat Thins. The company sells whole-grain crackers that are baked. The product was first introduced in 1947 by the popular brand Nabisco.
Wheat Thins are available in wide varieties and interesting flavors to cater to a wide customer base.
The company undertakes skillful advertisement techniques to get the attention of the youth.
They participate in various college events and are very active on social media to make their products visible to today’s generation.
Wheat Thins products list:
- Original Wheat Thins
- Reduced Fat Wheat Thins
- Multi-Grain Wheat Thins
- Ranch Wheat Thins
- Sundried Tomato & Basil Wheat Thins
- Garlic & Herb Wheat Thins
- Spicy Buffalo Wheat Thins
- Honey Wheat Thins
- Sweet Cinnamon Wheat Thins
- Zesty Salsa Wheat Thins
Apart from the US, the product is equally popular in Canada, Australia, and other countries.
Another subsidiary of the Frito-lay company of PepsiCo is Tostitos. It is a popular brand of tortilla chips and flavored dips accompanying them.
The first national distribution of Tostitos occurred in 1980 and achieved instant success. The sale was historical for Frito-lay.
Tostitos are now available in various flavors to suit the palate of their huge customer base.
Tostitos products list
Tostitos is a brand that offers a range of tortilla chips and dips. Here are some of the products they offer:
- Tostitos Original Restaurant-Style Tortilla Chips
- Tostitos Scoops! Tortilla Chips
- Tostitos Bite Size Rounds Tortilla Chips
- Tostitos Multigrain Tortilla Chips
- Tostitos Cantina Thin & Crispy Tortilla Chips
- Tostitos Hint of Lime Tortilla Chips
- Tostitos Salsa Verde Tortilla Chips
- Tostitos Spicy Quesadilla Tortilla Chips
- Tostitos Strips, Tortilla Chips
- Tostitos Dips (e.g. Salsa, Queso, Spinach Dip, Chunky Habanero Salsa)
Tostitos are known for having an authentic Mexican flavor and using white corn. The company went through much research and development to achieve this authenticity.
Cheetos was created by the founder of Fritos, Charles Elmer Doolin, in 1948. PepsiCo subsidiary Frito-lay took over the company in 1965. Cheetos are cheesy treats that are loved by the whole of America.
They are not only popular among kids but also teenagers and adults. The signature “cheese” is stuck to your fingers when you eat them with bare hands, and licking them off is heavenly.
The brand’s official mascot is the Chester Cheetah, which has also gained immense popularity.
Cheetos products list:
Here is a list of some of the different types of Cheetos products:
- Cheetos Crunchy
- Cheetos Puffs
- Cheetos Flamin’ Hot Crunchy
- Cheetos Flamin’ Hot Puffs
- Cheetos Crunchy Cheese Jalapeño
- Cheetos Mix-Ups Xtra Cheezy Mix
- Cheetos Crunchy Cheddar Jalapeño
- Cheetos Simply White Cheddar Puffs
- Cheetos Simply Cheetos Puffs White Cheddar Jalapeño
- Cheetos Simply Cheetos Puffs White Cheddar Crunchy
Cheetos was the highest-selling cheese puff brand in the United States in 2010. The company has now developed 21 varieties of its primary product in America.
Pringles is another popular American brand that sells wheat-based and potato stackable snack chips.
The company was originally founded by Procter and Gamble in the year 1967. It is now a subsidiary of Kellogg’s.
Even though the brand is American, Pringles is sold across 140 countries. It is one of the most popular snack brands in the United States of America.
Pringles Flavors List:
Here is a list of Pringles flavors that are currently available in the US market:
- Sour Cream & Onion
- Cheddar Cheese
- Loaded Baked Potato
- Honey Mustard
- Buffalo Ranch
- Wavy Original
- Wavy Ranch
- Wavy BBQ
- Wavy Cheddar & Sour Cream
- Scorchin’ BBQ
- Scorchin’ Cheddar
- Scorchin’ Chili & Lime
Pringles offered an easy alternative to people sick and tired of greasy, broken, and stale potato crackers and the amount of air in the packets. This has been a major reason for the popularity of Pringles in the US.
Another subsidiary of Nabisco that makes it to this list is Triscuit. It is a popular brand of snack crackers in the US.
It is a variety of whole wheat wafers that are baked. Invented in 1900, the production of Triscuits began in New York in the year 1903. The company has been in the snacks market for over a hundred years.
The company claims to have a complete understanding of the needs and preferences of its customers.
Triscuit flavors list:
Triscuit is a brand of snack crackers that come in various flavors. Here is a list of some of the flavors that Triscuit offers:
- Reduced Fat
- Thin Crisps
- Hint of Salt
- Roasted Garlic
- Rosemary and Olive Oil
- Fire Roasted Tomato and Olive Oil
- Garden Herb
- Dill Sea Salt
- Cracked Pepper and Olive Oil
- Smoked Gouda
- Parmesan Garlic
- Spicy Chili Pepper
- Sweet Potato and Cinnamon Sugar
- Wheatberry Clusters with Pumpkin Seeds and Sweetened Cranberries
Even though this list is not exhaustive, it gives us an idea about the major companies selling snacks to the people of the United States.
They all have the common quality of a huge market presence, consistent sales, and dedication to quality. Each brand has a loyal customer base who hardly changes their preferences.
This has been a major reason for the success of these companies for a prolonged period. The product portfolio of almost all these brands has increased over time, and they have ventured out into other countries apart from the United States.
- FritoLays: 15 Top Competitors and Alternatives
- 10 Potato Chips Marketing Strategy To Boost Your Business
- Top 10 Best Tortilla Brands In The World
- Top 10 Best Milk Brands in USA That Are Very Popular
- 22+ Effective Cheese Marketing Strategy That helps you to Grow
“Business, marketing, and Branding – these three words describe me the best. I am the founder of Burban Branding and Media, and a self-taught marketer with 10 years of experience. My passion lies in helping startups enhance their business through marketing, Branding, leadership, and finance. I am on a mission to assist businesses in achieving their goals.”